Newspaper Archive of
The Arlington Times
Marysville, Washington
Lyft
August 2, 1972     The Arlington Times
PAGE 21     (21 of 50 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 21     (21 of 50 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
August 2, 1972
 

Newspaper Archive of The Arlington Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




--4 7 Q ). "=1 m ..o -t- O "! -=4 E rn it1 I ..o -! ), ~O I ). C C 7o t~t CHARLES E. MOORE'S new general store, left. was the largest building in Darrington between 1912 and 1916. The building burned in 1916. At the right is the post office. Notice the wooden sidewalks showing through the snow. This photo was copied from a small postcard sized picture taken by Ward Woodward, nephew of Charles Moore. ys prom,nent ton l~y Elizabeth S. Poehlman ago this summer, the first white man town site of Darrington. He was was seeking a practical rowe for the through the North Cascades. Darriugton was then tmseen by white years. It was 1889 or 1890 that the among the deveaopers of Monte explore the 5auk River to find a feasible from Monte Cristo to the Puget Sound buiR in 1891 and for a year or two was and suppliers for Monte later to become Darrington became campground for the men. Darrington may have been a who came up the Stillaguamish on their way to the Sauk Prairie to hunt and edible roots in preparation turned north away from their would turn their canoes into Squire a short distance from Darrington they canoes along a trail to the Saul< again use a water highway to Squire weLl-defined when they came here. ing crew found a stone axe and near the west end of Darring- may have been a resting spot be- carried overland to the Sauk. River Monte Cristo Pioneer in favor of a shorter route down uamish. Bm the Darrington prospectors and miners by that settlement persisted. There many hills and mountains around 1895 and 1900 there were alone. Prospectors were the ones who con- International Railroad to extend to Darrington. The railroad of their ores in exchange for first train arrived in Darrington arrival was the occasion for a speech making. its name in 1891. The name is the mother of W.W. Christopher, one of to seaect a name. post office served 65 patrons. 1907. Darrington was a small- Much hope for the future was ~lpPer mine developed 12 miles ot of capital, both from the east area, was poured into developing rich deposit that was expected a pocket, and the promising bemire and mining work in the area had The "green gold' of the attract attention. The first small made in 1908 in the French Creek Co. and Danaher Logging railroads into their private to take om timber in great Forest Service sale was made Co.. and Darrington was well on town, Log jams today aren't what they used to be For most of us that odd whistling sound which sweeps through the trees here in Western Washington in late The first settlers came to Sauk Prairie in 1888 and winter or early spring is a signal to go outside and sniff log cabins and bachelors characterized Darrington prior deeply, to the coming of the railroad. Early transportation was This warm Chinook wind would seemtobea harbinger by Pony Express. of spring and gardeners eagerly check asparagus beds When one thinks of pioneer days in Darrington. one's for those first succulent shoots, and begin to dream of mind automatically takes in not only the little settlement summer gardens ablaze with color. However. Chinook of Darrington itself, but the region from White Horse winds, especially after heavy snow pack. can also mean to the Sauk Prairie. Therefore. in writing a brief history high water, roaring floods and great log jams.of early days in this part of Snohomish County the first In an early edition of The Arlington TIMES. a pioneer mention of population should go to the Suiatfle Indians, settler and surveyor. O.B. Iv son. gave a vivid account who discovered what an excellent place the Sauk Prairie of what may have been one of the largest and longest was on which to winter their horses. It was on the Sauk log jams in the history of this area. It occurred in the prairie the first white settler homesteaded - a man by StiUaguamish River at Stanwood in October, 1890. Iverson the name of Sam Stevens. in 1888. The next year another described it as follows: homesteader, Pete Brusler, came. "Imagine, if you can, a crow's nest measuring from Although a number of homesteads were claimed inthe a quarter of a mile to several miles long. a hundred to ensuing years, the town did not begin to develop until several hundred yards wide and 20 to 50 feet deep. It after the building of the railroad in 1901 by Northern was made up of huge trees many of which were 200 feet Pacific, at which time mining, both for gold and copper, long and up to two feet in diameter. Attached to them was the chief occupation. The firstbuildings were erected were their limbs and roots andaLldescriptions of smaller in 1894. The first storewas built inl900 by 2ack Montague. timber and brush It was filled in length-wiseand cross- The next year Charles E. Moore went into partnership wise. top up and top down with the soil left on the roots with Montague. finally taking over the entire business of the giants. If you can imagine this. then you have a amd establishing a hotea and eating house in connection faint idea of this timber jam." with the store. These buildings were all burned in 1907. "The first jam that I saw was in the process of It is of interest to note that with the discovery of mineral. building. The river was bank-full of muddy, gray water Darrington grew from nothing to a town of quite some and was literally full of driftwood coming downstream at size in a few years. It is stated that in 1917 there were as the rate of. say. ten miles an hour. When this drift many as seven saloons here. struck the upper end of the jam. most of it would dive Early transportation was by horseback and canoe. The which explained the fact that the jam was much higher first wagon road. cared the "Pioneer Road." was buiR than the riverbank." in 1901 and extended from Darrington to Cook's Store. "I happened to be at Stanwood when most of this Other roads followed and in 1915 the first amomobile jam went ore. The river was running bank-fuLl and, of came, owned by Darrington's first doctor, Dr. B.T. course, carrying drift Abom 2 p.m. the river was a Blake. moving jam as far as you could see up or down stream. The growth of Darrington has nOt resulted from the It was the same at sundown and the same until the after- mining enterprises, which in early days seemed so noon of the following day. The current was running at promising, bm centers around logging operations and more than five miles per hour and the river was more agricultural developamnts. Today the Darrington corn- than a hundred feet wide. This would make that drlft mmity numbers around 1.078 with a good schcol system. equal to a raft at least a 100 feet wide and more than a churches and adequate business houses to care for the hundred miles long." population, also a good road both by way of Arlington Iverson went on to explain in his article that man)/ and Concrete. The Forest Service which established years later, some men thinned this jam. Some 4i local headquarters here has provided manytrailsleading million board feet of timber were taken ore--enough to all tributaries of this region, furnishing excellent to make them rich. The area of the jam covered some recreational areas and fireprotectiontostandingtimber- 30 or 40 acres, but it produced more timber than a also justifying the slogan "Darrington - where the quarter section of land. Trails Begin". Editor's note. The above article recallin Arlin oil's Darrington's future as the gateway to the new Cascade g gt yesteryear was submitted by Roy Robb. president of the National Park will no doubt prove glorious since the Stitlaguamish Valley Pioneers Association. Some of the route through Darrington is the shortest and most scenic. attthors, all of whom are Stillaguamish pioneers, arenow deceased.) Cicero grew from a cabbage patch Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Cicero built a small grocery store and also had the first post office in the community which bears their name. Cicero built a saloon, a "Yeo- men" hall, a school and cabins arranged in such a manner that they were known as "Cabbage Patch." H.O. Siler, Newt Jones and C.D. HiLlis were respon- sible for naming the settlement. Old timers tell that the Cicero School election of 1910 was a bitterly fought and extremely lively election and would put any modern "school row" to shame. The North Biders won and the school was moved to where a modern two-room school was built. Bryant Mill erected in 1891 In 1892. there being no sale for cedar logs, Verd & Sanders erected the Bryant shingle mill and equipped it. Many old-tlmers worked at this rrd11, especially from the Cedarhome country. In 1895. the ranchers on the Kackman Road joined with the mill firm and buiR a bolt road two miles to the Markem place. They would load three cords of shin- gle bolts on a sled. The mill team would then haul them to the m111 with the ranchers taking in pay supplies from the mill store. This mill cut shingles almost continuously for 12 years, or about 3,300 cars of shingles, a value of more than one million dollars. Later it was converted into a round-house and machine shop by the Stimson MiLl Co.